Bootleg YoYos... at a National Competition

Anything related to the championships.

Bootleg YoYos... at a National Competition

Postby yoboy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:45 am

We all know that there is a growing number of yo-yos which have been manufactured and copied based entirely on another company’s yo-yos. The fact that not only do they look the same, the specifications of each of these yo-yos are almost identical to their original counterparts, and this, in the long run, could prove to reap negative repercussions in the entire yo-yo community.

One point to consider is I believe we should respect the companies who willingly sponsor these events and not support the bootleggers.

With that in mind I understand many may own a bootleg or two.... but I wanted to open the discussion to you guys about your opinion on players using Bootleg YoYos during the 2009 ANYC. Owning and competing opens a totally separate cans of worms.

Ultimately, it is the player and not the yo-yo that matters.

Debate it....
Image--= YoBoY =--Image
evOlutions in revOlutions
www.yoboy.com.au
yoboy
Atom Smasher

Re: Booleg YoYos... at a National Competition

Postby Metabolis » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:49 am

I'm not sure the yo-yo police should really be in force at all. For one, the sponsors main interests are backdrop and website advertising. They don't actually expect people to throw their products.

So you have a bootleg, and you don't own the yo-yo which is almost identical. It's the best yo-yo you own.. play it! I don't see why someone should feel pressured to go buy another yo-yo or whatever. If you've spent the money, and it's your favourite player, throw on. (Freedom of yo).

Having said that, I don't really think anyone will be rocking a bootleg as their main player simply due to the fact that they tend to be a lesser yoyo.
Metabolis
Site Admin

Playing Style: 1A

Postby KaKy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:04 am

hmmm.... touchy subject

I don't have a problem with people using bootlegs, although I can imagine the sponsors may not like it. Also if word gets around that we allow bootlegs to be used in our comp may cause it to be discredited by certain groups that are totally against all things bootleg.

I also think that the people using bootlegs at the ANYC will be a very small number - I'm sure the people that have one all have "better' yoyos to use.

K
KaKy
Yo Fo' Life

Playing Style: _A

Postby Cookee » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:26 pm

I'm not fussed at all with bootlegs, yoyos are like 1% of the skill of a player.
Small ya later!
Cookee
Barrel Roll

Postby yoboy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:43 pm

Cookee wrote:I'm not fussed at all with bootlegs, yoyos are like 1% of the skill of a player.

I'm not terribly fussed either about prople owning or play a bootleg yoyo... just not on stage at a National YoYo Event.

I pose a question - what if key sponsors decline from assisting with the event because we allow bootleg yoyos on stage... and the person using one placed in the top 3?
Forget about what you got in the case - think about the event... what if Duncan, YYJ, YYF, YYN, II and so on don't want to sponsor the event because we don't have a clear stance on competeing with a bootleg yoyo.

This is a hyperthetical - a discussion...
Please, more thoughts....
Image--= YoBoY =--Image
www.yoboy.com.au
yoboy
Atom Smasher

Re: Bootleg YoYos... at a National Competition

Postby Metabolis » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:01 pm

I'd say that it'd be all getting a little er.. hmm what's the word. Nazi? To be dictated to in such a fashion.

On the other side of the coin, a contest with no prizes isn't exactly desirable.

If the sponsors were to demand such a thing, then I guess we'd have to bend over and take it.
Metabolis
Site Admin

Postby yoboy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:35 pm

BOOTLEG - the making of unauthorized duplicates of material already commercially available
We are talking about the lazy companies who blatently copied a popular yoyo design...
Examples:- AODA 888, Auldey FHz, DM and HM, Dif-e-yo ripoffs.
These are bootlegs.

What I'm not talking about is the KingKong3, Auldey Virus, Takutos L3, AODA xXx and so on.
They are, in essence, their own design and don't cause a problem.
Not to say there isn't patent issues in America - this is not our issue. I am only concerned with the issue of Bootlegs.

The action (or future re-action) of the Sponsors is totally up to them. The can choose to sponsor - or choose not to. From my understanding Worlds, IYYO, APs and other National Comps have taken a stance on bootlegs for the good of the show and the future of the event.
Image--= YoBoY =--Image
www.yoboy.com.au
yoboy
Atom Smasher

Postby Mark K » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:10 pm

I say ban them from being used in competition.

The yoyo companies that spend the time and resources developing the original models of these yoyos are keeping the yoyo scene afloat. On the flip side, yoyo players keep them afloat by buying their products.

Some cowboy comes along and robs these companies of their right to claim a top 3 victory by players using their yoyos?

I dont think so.
2006 Australian National Champion
2007 Australian National Non-Champion
Mark K
Milk The Cow

Postby Testercles » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:23 am

I'm not really sure where I stand on this one, having not been around as long as the rest of you, but I believe that just a general 'please refrain from using a bootleg if at all possible' would be a cool idea, also, as others have stated, the bootleg would be a slightly lesser yoyo and many people would have more than enough non-bootleg yoyos to compete with.

I agree that if the sponsors wish a no bootleg policy to be in effect it's their prerogative, and I'm sure their continued sponsorship would be appreciated.

As for a top 3 finish with a bootleg. I'd say that most of the credit would have to go to the original designer of the yoyo.
Duncan FHZ with Neon Yellow poly/cottons. A noob but getting there.
Testercles
Gyroscopic Flop

Postby Mark K » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:40 am

Testercles wrote:As for a top 3 finish with a bootleg. I'd say that most of the credit would have to go to the original designer of the yoyo.

Mmmmmm i think most of the credit would go to the obviously just as good, much more cost effective, "made in china" bootleg... unfortunately.
Mark K
Milk The Cow

Postby Testercles » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:04 pm

I meant as far as the design of the yoyo. i assume the response system and everything would be the same.
Duncan FHZ with Neon Yellow poly/cottons. A noob but getting there.
Testercles
Gyroscopic Flop

Postby Mark K » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:07 pm

Well yeah the design would be virtually identical. But it's sending out the message that you can get a yoyofactory 888 "Imitation edition" really really really cheap and it will play virtually exactly the same.
You may get a cheap yoyo, but the company that worked hard to design it, make it, get it out to the players AND donate a few here and there for contest prizes loses out.

Why should yoyo companies support events if the players are going to shove it back in their faces by using a cheap imitation of their own product?
How would that company feel if that player wins a whole bunch of yoyos that they donated to the competition?

I dont think its such a problem now (at least not that i know of), and i dont think it'll turn into a huge problem (at least in most countries)...
As long as yoyo players and designers/manufacturers are able to hang out together on a social level and have that level of camaraderie.... remember what happened when yomega done the wrong thing at a contest and had the worldwide yoyo community boycott their yoyos?

...well thats my view on it anyway.
Mark K
Milk The Cow

Postby Metabolis » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:01 pm

An unlikely scenario..

A youngster was given a bootleg yo-yo for their birthday. They had this yo-yo for perhaps a couple of years and had learned a bunch of tricks, like you do. Not really involved in the yo-yo scene they just happen to see mention of ANYC. So they learn a comps trick or two and turn up on the day.

Sorry mate, you can't compete with that.

Picking up another yo-yo at such a point (they'd have to borrow one) would more likely than not, be damaging to their chances. Yes this is about as likely as my constant quest for world domination, but that's not to say it couldn't happen. I'd find such an incident nasty as hell, and would be totally against forcing said figment of imagination to use another yo-yo. It's not like they purposely set out to defraud these hard working yo-yo manufacturers.

So, my advice to you all. Start practicing saying "I for one welcome our new overlord Metabolis".
Metabolis
Site Admin

Postby Mark K » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:16 pm

What will you call this new world of yours?
Mark K
Milk The Cow

Postby Metabolis » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:11 pm

I'm happy with Earth. No need to change it.
Metabolis
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion