Hubstacks... Here to stay?

Anything related to the championships.

Hubstacks... Here to stay?

Postby predator » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:41 am

That's right people! The hub stacks! For all of those who don't know, they're the little spinny bits on the central axis that let ya hold the yoyo while it's still spinning.

I was thinking, the thumb/rim grind is pretty much here to stay and has inniciated a fairly radical change to the designs of new yoyos. They all seem to have this special ridge now! Are hubstacks (as they have been dubbed by the powers that be) and other various spiked tips here to stay? Or are they just a novelty?

I wanna know what the possibilities are with these little babies. 8)
If they take off will we all be looking back to the years before this one and say to ourselves, "Jeez, oldschool! Hell, back then we actually had to THROW the yoyo to get it spinning!"

Anyone feel the same way?
I laugh at your universe!
predator
Braintwister

Postby -= sk!p =- » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:17 pm

Sure they are fun, but i dont think it wll be on every yoyo like the thumbgrind lip (i reckon its like 80% of metals lol)
-= sk!p =-
Metyo
Metyo

Playing Style: 1A

Postby Mark K » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:21 pm

I think that will all depend on how far the players want to take it... For now, i think they are a novelty... untill we get a few players who truly master them and get others inspired to do the same... i think the redline series is where it'll stay for a while.
2006 Australian National Champion
2007 Australian National Non-Champion
Mark K
Milk The Cow

Postby kniteshade » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:41 pm

The 'specially' designed rims for rim-grinds were not an overly difficult feature to add to a yoyo being designed, whereas the hubstacks are significanly more 'stuff' to add. Its the extra cost of bearings, extra parts that have to be made separately, and time to assemble them that will probably mean they won't become mainstream. (The ridge is usually just a simple tweak of a CAD model).

So I suspect that they'll hang around for a while, and we'll see a heap of yoyos come out with hubstacks or similar, and then they'll somewhat dissapear.

Little spikes on the insides however are the kind of thing (similar to rims) that are simple enough that everyone'll design in just for the heck of it.
kniteshade
Gyroscopic Flop

Postby radical_edward » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:13 pm

I havent seen anything that really pushes new stuff. i may not be looking hard enough.
radical_edward
Spirit Bomb

Return to General Discussion