YoYo Mishaps and General Questions

Miscellaneous Yo-Yo Discussion.

YoYo Mishaps and General Questions

Postby Testercles » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:47 am

G'Day,

The last week I've really been really hitting it hard training a few hours a day learning as many tricks I can (In order), as well as I can on yoyoexpert. There's been two so far I can't do. Pop the Clutch and UFO. Stop and Go - particularly the Go part usually gives me grief. I'm sure I'm doing it right but it hardly ever starts spinning, and if it does it usually isn't strong enough to return.

I took my YoYo apart and saw that the friction stickers have kinda... shruck and are now invading the spacers, is it time to replace as I think this is impeding the YoYos ability to spin on itself somewhat.

I was also wondering, on average, how many hours of play you'd get out of one string and what it looks like when you want to replace. Mine's looking a bit skanky and was probably replaced about 5 hours of play ago and I think it might be time to go.

I recently cleaned the bearing for the first time with metho and have no lube. AJ runs his bearings dry, and at the moment I don't REALLY see any ill effects to doing so, BUT on the subject of the bearing, I also see that most of the time there's a little black sticky gunk on the bearing, possibly glue or something off of the friction sticker, like a little blob of it that can be taken off by hand, but I was wondering what that could be.

Also, I seem to be tearing the back of my left index finger up with ropeburn and I was wondering what everyone thinks about YoYo gloves as I'm considering a pair, probably black.

tl;dr should shrinking friction stickers be replaced, how many hours of play does a poly/cotton string last, what's the crap on my bearing, what's the opinion on YoYo gloves?
Duncan FHZ with Neon Yellow poly/cottons. A noob but getting there.
Testercles
Gyroscopic Flop

Playing Style: 1A

Re: YoYo Mishaps and General Questions

Postby Yozilla » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:22 am

Not sure what yoyo you have or what friction stickers your using?
Replace the string as often as you feel like you need to. I replace mine when they get a bit fuzzy or they stop holding tension properly.
I never had a friction sticker shrink, could be exposure to heat? Replace it anyway. Also sounds like the glue is seeping onto your bearing.
As for the rope burn...
Suck it up, you'll get a callus eventually and then you wont have to wear wussy gloves all the time.
number 5
Yozilla
Double Or Nothing

Postby -= sk!p =- » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:42 pm

In regards to the cutting of the finger things, I dont get it on any other finger, than my right index finger.

I have a bad habbit of letting the string land over my finger when I throw, and often I get cuts as deep as 3-4mm or so. I still dont wear gloves, but a callous never really forms, I have scars basically, looks like my finger has been sawn into lol.
-= sk!p =-
Metyo
Metyo

Postby Cookee » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:07 pm

-= sk!p =- wrote:In regards to the cutting of the finger things, I dont get it on any other finger, than my right index finger.

I have a bad habbit of letting the string land over my finger when I throw, and often I get cuts as deep as 3-4mm or so. I still dont wear gloves, but a callous never really forms, I have scars basically, looks like my finger has been sawn into lol.

This is seriously no joke, it looks seriously nasty.
Small ya later!
Cookee
Barrel Roll

Postby hefty » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:59 pm

you can see the flesh sometimes!
hefty
Yo Or Die

Postby Testercles » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:59 am

Yozilla wrote:Not sure what yoyo you have or what friction stickers your using?
Replace the string as often as you feel like you need to. I replace mine when they get a bit fuzzy or they stop holding tension properly.
I never had a friction sticker shrink, could be exposure to heat? Replace it anyway. Also sounds like the glue is seeping onto your bearing.
As for the rope burn...
Suck it up, you'll get a callus eventually and then you wont have to wear wussy gloves all the time.

Duncan FHZ with Neon Yellow poly/cottons. Standard Duncan friction stickers.
yeah When mine start to turn a dark yellow I think it's time for a change and they look real thin and tightly wound all the way along.

Today and changed out both friction stickers and put a new string on. I've had work so haven't been able to see if that's improved it, but I assume that it would have.

I usually keep my yoyo in my pocket most all of the time, would this have any ill effects as far as heat or anything is concerned.

As for skip's fingers, that sounds hectic. I don't want mine to get like that, nor do I want little scars all the way along my finger. One of my mates saw them today and was like 'omg you emo fag', so until the gloves come I've got some medical tape left over from an operation I had so just tape up my finger. It feels a bit weird but it's better than hacking up my finger I guess.
It may seem wussy but I do have bitch hands and arms, lol, so I'm thinking of getting a pair of gloves jus so they don't get too dinged up n that.
Duncan FHZ with Neon Yellow poly/cottons. A noob but getting there.
Testercles
Gyroscopic Flop

Return to General Chat