YYJ double Yo-Ring vs hybrid

Miscellaneous Yo-Yo Discussion.

YYJ double Yo-Ring vs hybrid

Postby matty_tee » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:22 pm

hey guys Im new to yoyoing, i started less than 2 weeks ago and found my fireball hard to do any string tricks more advanced than trapese. I ordered a plastic grindmachine about a week ago that is yet to come but im pretty sure u have to bind that yoyo. Can anyone tell me if you have too bind YYJ yoyos that have double Yo-Ring and hybrid response systems and what are the pros and cons of these. I am interested in getting an ex-convict or darkmagic so any feed back on these(or others) would be good too! Hope that all made sense!
matty_tee
Braintwister

Re: YYJ double Yo-Ring vs hybrid

Postby yoboy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:19 pm

Hey Matty...
Good to see you posting!

Try your best to have a play with a stock Hybrid or Double O Ring to find out for yourself. Maybe at a meeting or something like that. I prefer double O ring - but recessed (or cut down) - or better yet - flat rings or Kenaros new pads. With starburst I can usually hear the speed of the yoyo a lot more. It really is a preference thing. O rings can be very snaggy in humid weather. You can also silicone the O ring gaps in the future if yu want a bigger gap and less response.

KK bearings usually helps minimise any contact with the starburst or O ring if that is your sort of thing.

Sometimes people forget that BINDING is a trick - and can be learnt very quickly.
You can play most yoyos responsive for some tricks and unresponsive for thers. The YYJs you mentioned are in the same catagory. It usually depends on the amont of lube or oil in the bearing AND the response systems position to the string.

I have seen every yoyo be both responsive and not - some just work better than others when setup or tuned correctly.

To increase the 'response' of the yoyo you can use lubrication on the bearing.
Mild - use a thin oil to increase viscosity.
More extreme or long lasting - Open the yoyo and use something like vaseline or similar smeared onto the bearing (both sides) will increase the viscosity (or friction) around the two bearing faces. It will be very responsive.

To decrease - use Shellite or White Spirits or similar to clean the bearing.

As your skills get better then you might prefer to make the yoyo unresponsive - then you need to learn the skill of BINDING. This is an advanced trick used to get a sleeping yoyo back to the hand. Have a look on YouTube for some examples...
Here is one:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=iAV4PF1pkKU

Enjoy....
Stu
Image--= YoBoY =--Image
evOlutions in revOlutions
www.yoboy.com.au
yoboy
Atom Smasher

Postby matty_tee » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:02 pm

thank you very much stu I wiil probably order an ex-convict off of u soon, once I get my grind machine. I have being practicing my binds on my fireball, it snags alot but im getting them down :D
matty_tee
Braintwister

Postby matty_tee » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:34 pm

just ordered the ex-convict. I couldnt help myself :lol: . thanx yoboy!
matty_tee
Braintwister

Postby -= sk!p =- » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:39 pm

You will love it mate. Enjoy it and welcome to the mad world of throwin
-= sk!p =-
Metyo
Metyo

Playing Style: 1A

Postby KaKy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:07 pm

Cool, new yoyos and the buying of are good fun!

matty_tee you should check out this topic and try and get to the meet! Adelaide yoyo meets thread
KaKy
Yo Fo' Life

Playing Style: _A

Postby matty_tee » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:12 pm

wont be able to make it because i got work on saturday. But maybe I'll try to get to the next one u guys have. Hopefully I'll have my new yoyos by then!
matty_tee
Braintwister

Return to General Chat