Suggestions next year? 1aPrelims or Compulsories?

Miscellaneous Yo-Yo Discussion.

Suggestions next year? 1aPrelims or Compulsories?

Postby DragonMoon » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:19 pm

Just post this thread because this year we have more people coming in,
next year could be more!
I like 1min preliminaries better because it shows more skills, and compulsories have been stopped in most contests for years.
Most important reason is we are having more people and gonna spread yoyoing widely! :D
so what's your opinion?
DragonMoon
Nanda Kanda

Playing Style: ??

Re: Suggestions next year? 1aPrelims or Compulsories?

Postby hefty » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:56 pm

its probably not going to happen right now, compulsories work pretty well with the layout of our competition so why change what works?
hefty
Yo Or Die

Postby Cookee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:29 pm

I like the compulsories at the moment, I think it keeps the scoring even pre-free style

however I am in favour of changing the list of compulsories
I'd like to see Kamikaze, Throw hand grind and possibly slack trapeze dropped and replaced with something else. Either some kind of "modern" trick or something equally as old school as the ones above.
Small ya later!
Cookee
Barrel Roll

Postby yoboy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:45 pm

Spinnerarchie....!
Image--= YoBoY =--Image
evOlutions in revOlutions
www.yoboy.com.au
yoboy
Atom Smasher

Postby retch » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:32 pm

my opinion, for what it's worth:

10-trick compulsory gets the formalities out of the way quicker. you can have more than one player on stage, it's easier to judge (and less intensive, one judge for one player), and there's usually no doubt about how to perform the trick.

for trick selection (as cookee touched on), either kamikaze or shockwave should be switched. no point in having a trick component that people struggle on in 2 out of the 10 tricks. bring back skin the gerbil? also, switch black hops for kwyjibo. enough with that ballbuster trick already!

what would be nice is a median score of 25. we've been using the same tricks since 2006 and the scores (from memory) are mostly in the 5-25 range. so either a) the tricks are either too hard or gimmicky to hit reliably, b) people aren't practising their compulsories, c) people are ignoring their compulsories.

that said, 1 min freestyles are easier for the player, at the cost of requiring 3 sets of judge eyes.

also, what about 2 minute freestyles?
retch
Gyroscopic Flop

Playing Style: 0A

Postby hardcore_max » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:10 am

just my 2 cents worth.
I think that compulsories are good and until players start being able to nail them all I feel there isn't any need to change to a 1 min freestyle, I am in favor of possibly changing out one or two for either something more modern or equally old school.
hardcore_max
Rancid Milk

Playing Style: 1A

Postby Mark K » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:34 am

I say keep compulsaries.
Basically, I think they're a good way to make sure players who are able to compete on a national level maintain a minimum standard of skill.

If you can't do a magic drop, you have no business being a national champion. Simple.
2006 Australian National Champion
2007 Australian National Non-Champion
Mark K
Milk The Cow

Postby Cookee » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:03 am

Mark K wrote:If you can't do a magic drop, you have no business being a national champion. Simple.

*cough* skip *cough*

All the tricks at the moment are to test different components which are used in more advanced tricks. Magic drop is used twice in the compulsories (shock wave / Kamikaze). The reason I suggested to drop one of these is to make room for something new.
Small ya later!
Cookee
Barrel Roll

Postby IAGTTBleed » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:40 pm

As someone who has mastered Magic Drop and is landing Black Hops most of the time I would like the compulsories to be made up of nothing but variations of those two tricks...

Seriously though, I've been practising them every day because I want a good compulsories score when I finally join you guys at Nats.

I STILL can't do Boing-e-Boing but what's driving me to keep trying is that it's part of a compulsory.

The harder the better I say. Everyone has another year to get better.

I'm all for the tricks changing each year as long as we get enough time to learn and practice them.
IAGTTBleed
Double Or Nothing

Postby retch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:41 pm

boings are part of 3-7 which is more of a gear check imo
retch
Gyroscopic Flop

Playing Style: 0A

Postby hardcore_max » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:57 am

retch wrote:boings are part of 3-7 which is more of a gear check imo

he who's yoyo's spins longer wins lol
hardcore_max
Rancid Milk

Postby Mark K » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:36 am

Cookee wrote:
Mark K wrote:If you can't do a magic drop, you have no business being a national champion. Simple.

*cough* skip *cough*

All the tricks at the moment are to test different components which are used in more advanced tricks. Magic drop is used twice in the compulsories (shock wave / Kamikaze). The reason I suggested to drop one of these is to make room for something new.

Fair call.

Maybe swap Kamizake for Mickey Flop/Gyro flop.

That way shockwave takes care of the magic drops ( ;) ) and provided the trick instructions are specific to the comp, Mickey flop covers houdini mount, houdini drop hold and gyro flop which isn't currently tested.
2006 Australian National Champion
2007 Australian National Non-Champion
Mark K
Milk The Cow

Postby PsYkoDuCk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:51 am

keep kamikaze drop shockwaves =)
PsYkoDuCk
Thumb Grind

Postby Testercles » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:59 pm

PsYkoDuCk wrote:keep kamikaze drop shockwaves =)

Word.

I'm in favour of keeping compulsories, just because 1 min freestyles work for other, bigger competitions doesn't mean we should change something that works well for us.

In a way 1 min freestyles as qualifying (assuming it'd be regular judging and count as 30%) would also be unfair to those that aren't at the top of the ladder, where as compulsories are impartial and anyone, as long as they've practiced it, can hit all ten, no matter how dodgy your 3 minutes will be.
e.g. Vooie's 1 min would tear arse all over my 1 min but if I were totally pro at all 10 compulsories I may still be competitive, nah'm sayin?
Duncan FHZ with Neon Yellow poly/cottons. A noob but getting there.
Testercles
Gyroscopic Flop

Postby Cookee » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:56 pm

Testercles wrote:
PsYkoDuCk wrote:keep kamikaze drop shockwaves =)

Word.

I'm in favour of keeping compulsories, just because 1 min freestyles work for other, bigger competitions doesn't mean we should change something that works well for us.

In a way 1 min freestyles as qualifying (assuming it'd be regular judging and count as 30%) would also be unfair to those that aren't at the top of the ladder, where as compulsories are impartial and anyone, as long as they've practiced it, can hit all ten, no matter how dodgy your 3 minutes will be.
e.g. Vooie's 1 min would tear arse all over my 1 min but if I were totally pro at all 10 compulsories I may still be competitive, nah'm sayin?

fo realz homie
Small ya later!
Cookee
Barrel Roll

Next

Return to General Chat