thoughts for the future...

Got any ideas? Post about them here.

thoughts for the future...

Postby retch » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:37 pm

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd ask if anyone had any complaints or feedback on the comp this year. Personally, I think this year killed last year's comp -- it ran a lot quicker, and the skills were much improved. Those of you that were here for last years comp know what I'm talking about, people were taking breaks to go shopping!

There have been however two items of feedback that I've been given, namely:
1. Zero-score compulsories not being able to FS.
2. No lower level challenge (with accompanying prizes).

For 1, I think this is just natural evolution of our scene as it improves. I want to continue using a 10-trick compuslory system because (as I've mentioned in other posts) it's easier to judge, and it adds another element to the scoring. If you had a strong compulsory score, but made a few mistakes in your FS, it can compensate. Although overall most people didn't have high compulsory scores, just learning the tricks is adding more components to your bag of tricks. And anyone who doesn't know Kamikaze should be shot... just kidding :D. I'm happy to leave the compulsory tricks as they are for use again next year.

On point 2, I think if we can rope more people into the sports ladder with the incentive of prizes. E.g. everyone to get a score over 10 gets a prize. Even a lucky dip full of 201s, proyos, proflys, etc would be sufficient. We only had one of the jugglers jump in the sports ladder this year, but I saw plenty of other jugglers throwing them around. Mark Douglass (the guy throwing diabolo at last year's comp) is already doing nunchucks and aerials on his FH0. So, I expect we'll have quite a few other people ready and willing to have a crack at sports ladder; and perhaps even an A or Y competitor or two!

I look forward to any other feedback!
brad forschinger <yoyo /at/ bnjf /dot/ id /dot/ au>
retch
Gyroscopic Flop

Playing Style: 0A

Re: thoughts for the future...

Postby Mark K » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:59 pm

retch wrote:...And anyone who doesn't know Kamikaze should be shot... just kidding :D...

Agreed...

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
2006 Australian National Champion
2007 Australian National Non-Champion
Mark K
Milk The Cow

Postby kniteshade » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:26 pm

I think that everyone should be allowed to do a freestyle. I still agree that compulsories should be done, and that their points can make a large impact on their final score - but in order to make the whole event more exciting and more things to watch and see - we can have more freestyles.
If needed you could even have a penalty for not hitting any compulsories, to put them out of the running for 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Most of us are only there to have a good time anyhow.
kniteshade
Gyroscopic Flop

Postby ben » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:26 pm

:twisted: If you want to do a freestyle, the stage is there, the sound system is there, get up and have fun BUT If somebody cant be bothered learning one of the 10 tricks I dont think its reasonable for the judges not to be bothered judging them. :twisted:
ben
Rollercoaster

Postby Mark K » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:56 pm

From a non competition perspective...
Ive personally always been a firm believer that a player new to the scene should get acquainted with basic tricks and compulsaries before they bother with the newer/more technical stuff.
I dont see much point in bothering to learn all the latest slacks and whips etc if you dont have the basics. If you cant do anything with those fancy slacks, whats the point of having them?
For anyone wanting to get better at yoyoing, learn the compulsaries and get to sector Y.
Learn as many of those tricks as you can... they will give you a solid foundation for future learnings.
Mark K
Milk The Cow

Postby -= sk!p =- » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:35 pm

1.yo completely agree, im peeved at myself for forgetting them (and more peeved because i didnt know the ins+outs of judging/compulsaries/get 2 freestyle thing and probably would have grabbed a yoyo that could handle a grind lol).

I dig the current system, and it works. nuff said.

2. Interesting idea there Brad, it would bring more people that have the basic skills and fuel their love for it, such as Hannah and Chris both starting up.
-= sk!p =-
Metyo
Metyo

Playing Style: 1A

Postby hefty » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:51 pm

next year as i am not competeing i am willing to anounce the whole comp on a microphone coz some ppl couldt hear wat was happening and when, such as my mix up i didnt know that 1a and y freestyles were being mixed up.
hefty
Yo Or Die

Postby -= sk!p =- » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:18 pm

dont make excuses for your own mis-preperation... oh wait, that was me...
-= sk!p =-
Metyo
Metyo

Postby kniteshade » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:40 pm

ben wrote:If somebody cant be bothered learning one of the 10 tricks I dont think its reasonable for the judges not to be bothered judging them.

Good point.

I think everything should be set for next year now anyhow.
I think most of the problems are just lack of understanding of the rules by a few people (myself included - I got it all sorted now though)
kniteshade
Gyroscopic Flop

Postby Sleeper » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:08 pm

Got word from Breaker J that the entry fee for mere spectators was waived entirely. Kind of would have been nice to know before that date when it was touted as a flat $30 for everyone regardless of their wanting to hit up the stage or just the stands.
Sleeper
Candy Rain

Postby Mark K » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Sleeper wrote:Got word from Breaker J that the entry fee for mere spectators was waived entirely. Kind of would have been nice to know before that date when it was touted as a flat $30 for everyone regardless of their wanting to hit up the stage or just the stands.

You shoulda come... it was only 5bux to stand on a box outside and peer through the windows...

:lol:
Mark K
Milk The Cow

Postby KaKy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:18 pm

Heya,

I think that the whole idea of compulsaries was good, but as someone else said everyone should have been allowed to freestyle, as those who didn't do well in the compulsaries won't have as much chance of winning as those who did well.

The idea of more prizes for sports ladder is a good one. And maybe the event should have more publicity beforehand to get more spectators.

I think the comp ran quite well, although I really have nothing to compare it too. . . one thing that would be good is some sort of trophy/medallion for the winners. Yoyos as prizes were great, but getting something which actually states that you came 1st/2nd/3rd as well is so much nicer. One idea is engraved Throw Down rings, with the yr of the comp and placing/div.

Overall I had a great time, can't wait till next yrs.

Cheers,
kahli
KaKy
Yo Fo' Life

Playing Style: _A

Postby retch » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:28 pm

Sleeper wrote:Kind of would have been nice to know before that date when it was touted as a flat $30 for everyone regardless of their wanting to hit up the stage or just the stands.

I knew just as soon as everyone else, i.e. on the day of the event itself.

It turns out that the entry process was a little more lenient than what I originally understood, and that the jugglers were willing to waive the entrance fee for spectators.

I will certainly be sure to confirm a competitor and spectator rate for next year's event, and I apologise for any inconvenience.
brad forschinger <yoyo /at/ bnjf /dot/ id /dot/ au>
retch
Gyroscopic Flop

Playing Style: 0A

Postby Metabolis » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:50 pm

Speaking as someone who paid an entry fee and got zero in compulsories, it really didn't bother me that I couldn't freestyle.

The 1A winner is seeded in the worlds comp. There is a certain standard we're expected to reach. Without encouragement (learning all the comps tricks is a good start), we won't reach that standard.

I doubt that there will be a single one of us next year (who really wants to freestyle) that won't be able to do at least one of the comps tricks. Those that can't, should probably be choosing to enter sports ladder instead.

Mick.
Metabolis
Site Admin

Postby patisbananaman » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:05 pm

*cough cough Melbourne '09 cough cough
patisbananaman
Braintwister

Next

Return to Event Suggestions